- Just arrived in Auckland & met up with Kirstine (from National Park) to kill time until we can check into our respective hostels at 2pm. 12:40:02, 2013-12-21
- So I had the great idea to ship some summer stuff home – but on Saturdays even in big Auckland post offices are closed completely or early! 15:49:29, 2013-12-21
- Hee – the hostel messed up my booking, so instead of sharing a 5-bed dorm I seem to have a 2-bed room for myself. Lovely! 18:40:50, 2013-12-21
- Just came back from my visit to the Shire – it was glorious, just too short… Uploading photos now. 🙂 http://t.co/Amw8GXkil8 #hobbiton 13:28:18, 2013-12-20
- Just wrote all the postcards I promised from Hobbiton – they'll be late for Christmas but they're from HOBBITON! *g* 15:28:47, 2013-12-20
- Amusing thing I heard? Apparently @DomsWildThings & @OfficialBeecake came here the day after I met them in Welly… NZ is *such* a village! 17:07:04, 2013-12-20
- Apparently they even served drinks at the Green Dragon… Yes, the locals are gossips, they love sharing these tidbits. 🙂 17:09:39, 2013-12-20
- It feels like proper summer here – lovely! Just enjoyed a smoothie & ambled around town. 17:17:13, 2013-12-20
- Travel blog – Hobbiton!: It's been an amazing day – truly a worthy end to my trip… http://t.co/jgxsEBAEBc 20:32:24, 2013-12-20
- Have I mentioned that the inn I'm staying at is above a pub? A nice pub – but they have live music & my bus leaves tomorrow at 8am… Yay? 21:17:26, 2013-12-20
- A short hike from the village to a pretty lookout towards Taranaki this morning. Now just killing time until the bus. Hobbiton tomorrow! 🙂 11:31:06, 2013-12-19
- Arrived in Matamata – they're taking the Hobbiton thing seriously here! 🙂 This was the 1st thing I saw, the iSite: http://t.co/ZUoFunCu3a 21:01:30, 2013-12-19
This morning I took a shuttle from the hostel to Whakapapa Village in the national park. From there one can take a chair lift up Mt. Ruhapehu, but I decided against that because there were thick clouds shrouding the mountain. Instead I opted to do 3 shorter hikes, always returning to the village, which had the advantage of giving me a proper lunch break. 🙂
- Not used to getting up with an alarm clock anymore – but now no one's around to check my room & take my key (did tell them yesterday)… 06:59:57, 2013-12-17
- On the train now,nice 5hrs to National Park.Good bye Wellington, I'll definitely see you again! Btw,my NZ mob & internet prob won't work. 🙁 07:45:08, 2013-12-17
- Arrived in National Park YHA after a beautiful & relaxing train trip. Only one walk from the village itself, will take a shuttle tomorrow. 14:30:30, 2013-12-17
- Unbelievable – half an hour into a short hike my newly fixed hiking boots fell apart again! Good thing I brought my proper sneakers… Grr! 16:57:53, 2013-12-17
- It really is beautiful here in National Park: http://t.co/xUBQ38rBNS 17:09:53, 2013-12-17
- Travel blog – Almost time to leave…: http://t.co/BICrcAhqOq 10:46:42, 2013-12-16
- My Top 3 #lastfm Artists: Ed Sheeran (9), Hugh Laurie (4) & Fall Out Boy (3) #music http://t.co/Hlu0WPFnrd 12:44:48, 2013-12-16
- Wellington http://t.co/btyk6Vd013 14:35:27, 2013-12-16
- Wellington – and Hobbitse… http://t.co/Or2YCI8Ruw 17:14:28, 2013-12-16
- Still very embarrassed about asking Billy & Dom for a photo on the street. But still, what a thing to happen on my last stroll through town! 17:29:34, 2013-12-16
Tomorrow morning I’m catching the train up to National Park. I still have almost a whole week New Zealand left, but with leaving Wellington it feels as if I’ve already started my trip home… But don’t worry, I’ll still have loads of fun, tramping around the mountains (although not the Tongariro Crossing, good sense won out over stubborness) and visiting Hobbiton! 🙂
It’s just that for me, Wellington is my home here in NZ, even if I’m staying in student accommodation and didn’t get to see my friends nearly enough. It just felt so good to be here, walk these streets – and I did get to spend time with most of the wonderful people I’ve missed these past five years.
Seeing Rachel & Nathan again at and after church yesterday (they invited me to Nathan’s family home, how lovely way that!) was really great – when I saw them last, Rachel was pregnant with Fynn, and now that little lad is 5 years old and has TWO younger sisters! All three utterly adorable. Fynn and Phoebe, the two older ones, were in the cute and funny children’s Christmas presentation at church – can you spot the blond hair? 🙂
Today I’m getting everything ready – another session with the chiropractor, picking up my hiking boots from the cobbler, doing one last load of laundry and of course packing ALL the things. But I’m also planning on going back to the waterfront this afternoon and maybe pop into Te Papa (seeing that it’s free), as so far the weather’s simply been too nice for a proper museum day.
Friday I got to hang out with Celia again and we went for a leisurely walk at Karori Sanctuary – a lot has happened there, so many more birds than five years ago, it was great!
Can you blame me for already missing this beautiful place? Their slogan is “the coolest little capital in the world” – and ain’t that the truth! *g*
Note: All photos can be found in this set on Flickr.
- Church in the morning, then got to spend some lovely time with Rachel, Nathan & their family. Now I'm really getting sad about leaving… 🙁 17:00:06, 2013-12-15